Facts about Kuusamo Airport
Finavia maintains and develops the Finnish airport network. At the Nordic level, it has the highest number of direct flights to Asia. Traffic to Kuusamo is busy especially in the winter season, as the airport has excellent traffic connections to the attractions and resorts in the region.
- Annual passenger and landing statistics of the airport are published on Finavia's Traffic Statistics page.
- The airport's runway is 2,500 metres long.
Finavia's Traffic Statistics
Awards and recognitions
Finavia Airport of the Year 1993
- 1972: The first airport and air traffic control building is opened to traffic. A regular route between Oulu and Kuusamo begins operating.
- 1974: The runway is extended from 800 metres to 1,500 metres.
- 1977: The new air traffic control building is completed.
- 1988: The passenger terminal is opened to traffic.
- 1989: The runway is extended to 2,000 metres. Jet traffic begins.
- 1997: The runway is extended to 2,500 metres.
- 1998: The passenger terminal expansion is completed.
- 2005: Kuusamo Airport is granted the status of an international airport.
- 2009: The renovation and expansion of the terminal building is completed.