Vegan food is a growing trend. Many have switched to a vegetarian diet, and many omnivorous eaters are increasingly seeking vegetarian food, also when traveling.
At Helsinki Airport, the trend has been noticed and nowadays for example burgers, ramen soup and risotto are available without any animal-based ingredients.
Demand for vegan options on the rise
Jenni Pirhonen, general manager of HMS Host, which operates several restaurants at the airport, says that vegan supply was modest a decade ago, but has grown rapidly.
”In recent years, vegan food has become an important and visible product group in the cafés and restaurants of Helsinki Airport. We are diversifying our vegan selection all the time and during this year it will be even wider and more visible.”
Vegan options off the menu
Improving quality and supply will increase the marketability of vegetarian food in all target groups: as plant-based food becomes more prominent and more recipes are invested, it will also be of interest to wider audience.
Mari Korhonen, the coordinator of restaurant operator SSP Finland, has also observed a growing demand for vegan food.
“We strive to have at least one vegan portion on the list at all restaurants, and our restaurants will make one upon request, unless one is on the list. There is a lot of demand for vegan and vegetarian options and our customers are becoming more aware of them. We study good plant-based protein sources and try them in our portions.”
Jenni Pirhonen's and Mari Korhonen's tips on vegan meals at Helsinki-Vantaa Airport during the winter season 2019-2020:
Johan & Nyström
• Freshly baked bagel with hummus and avocado
• Chia bowl with raspberries and roasted coconut
• Apple-flavoured raw porridge with sea buckthorn and roasted almonds
• Tomato-avocado rye bread
• Vegan Burger from the kitchen by ordering
Bistrot – Arrivals hall A2
Artisan pizza with cold smoked tofu and pickled pumpkin
• Panini with avocado and sun-dried tomatoes
• Bagel with hummus and grilled vegetables
• Cold smoked tofu, seasoned mushrooms, buckwheat and lip vinegar
Vegan à la carte dishes by request
Vegan kebabs Poke Bowl are provided by Cafe Tori, Upper Crust, WHS Kiosks and Moomin Cafe.
Vegan wrap at Tapio Cafe and Cafe Tori.
Vegan falafel burger
Cesar's Little Italy
Salad table and alternate vegan dishes at the buffet
All rice portions available as vegan
Non-Schengen area (long-haul flights):
• Ramen soup: tofu, shiitake mushrooms and dashi
• Tofu-avocado -poke bowl
• Root celery prepared in four ways plus apple and pickled mustard seeds
• Mushroom-spelt risotto, available on request as vegan
• Bagel with seasonal grilled vegetables and hummus
• Smoothies and juices directly to customers from fresh fruits and berries, with vegan proteins on offer.