The Finnish Government has decided that the restrictions on travel within the Schengen area will be eased from May 14th, 2020, after which commuter traffic and other essential travel inside the Schengen area will be allowed.
The internal border controls inside the Schengen area are valid until 14 June 2020. This means that every passenger travelling via Finavia airports will go through border control. If you are travelling from an airport with no international air traffic, there will be no border control.
Restrictions on travel outside the Schengen area remain valid.
For now, the Finnish Government does not recommend travelling for leisure. For more information about arriving in Finland and crossing the border, please contact the Finnish Border Guard, tel. +358 (0)50 597 2255 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Quarantine instructions for passengers returning to Finland
- Finnish citizens and permanent residents of Finland who are returning to Finland from abroad are obligated to remain in voluntary quarantine for 14 days. In voluntary quarantine, movement is restricted to commuting between the workplace and the home as well as other essential movement.
- Arriving passengers must go home directly. Passengers are recommended to use their own car or a taxi, even though public transportation has commenced on May 14th. Remember to avoid contact, keep a safe distance, and proper hand hygiene during all transportation.
- Passengers are handed further written instructions upon arrival.
Instructions for transferring passengers
- A passenger transferring from a domestic flight to another flight must leave the gate area and return to the gate area via security and border control.
- A passenger changing from one international flight to another does not need to leave the gate area. This measure enables us to direct passengers arriving from domestic and international flights to use separate routes and facilities.
- Travelling to one’s own home country as a transit passenger through Helsinki Airport is allowed.
- Restrictions concerning domestic connecting flights have ended. Passengers arriving from abroad may use domestic connection flights starting May 19th, 2020.
How to travel safely at Finavia airports
- Pay attention to your hand hygiene. Hand sanitiser is available throughout the airport. If you need to cough, do so in your sleeve or use a tissue.
- Remember to keep a safe distance from others. You must always keep a safe distance from other passengers when possible.
- Passengers and employees are protected with respirator masks and transparent protective barriers. In addition, the terminals are cleaned and contact surfaces disinfected more intensively.
- Remember the quarantine instructions and go home directly. Use your own car or a taxi.
- Check-list for passengers: Check these before arriving at the airport
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Finland: Travel Instructions
- THL: Coronavirus: Latest updates
Flight information for Helsinki Airport is available here.
Updated May 29th, 2020. Check-list for passengers: check these before arriving to the airport
Updated May 19th, 2020. Domestic connection flights are allowed.
Updated on May 14th, 2020. Voluntary quarantine and government transportation.