- Annual passenger and landing statistics of the airport are published on Finavia's Traffic Statistics page.
- The airport's runway is 2,500 metres long.
- 1949: Construction work on a new airport in Oulunsalo begins as the previously used Oritkari airfield proves to be too small for modern aircrafts.
- 1953: The airport is completed. Aero begins operating to Helsinki with DC-3 aircrafts.
- 1958: The first airport and flight traffic control building is completed. The main runway is paved with asphalt.1964: Jet traffic to Oulu begins.
- 1973: The new terminal building is opened. It was designed by K. Ström & O. Tuomisto architects, who also designed the airport building at Helsinki-Vantaa, which opened in 1969.
- 1984: The annual number of passenger reaches 300,000.
- 1994: The passenger terminal is expanded to accommodate a million passengers annually.
- 1998: The new air traffic control tower is completed.
- 2002: The airport building's latest expansion is opened to public in September.
- 2011: The new extension of Oulu Airport is introduced in September.
- 2014: Airport of the year
- 2016: Airport of the year