Helsinki Airport has dozens of automated passport machines, using which you do not need to wait in lines and can quickly pass through the border. The immigration process takes less than a minute.
You can use the machines if you have an e-passport (biometric passport). Registration in advance is not needed.
- Citizens of EU, EEA, Switzerland and Japan can use the passport machines at arrival and departure.
- Citizens of Korea, the US, Canada, Australia and New Zeeland can use the passport machines whenever they are departing.
How to use passport machines
• Place your passport in the reader and wait for the gate to open.
• Step inside and stop in the designated place for having your photograph taken. Remove any eyeglasses and headwear.
• The machine compares your photo to your passport. When the passport check is complete, the gate will open.
The video shows how the passport machines work.
The minimum height for using the automated passport control machines is 130 cm. Moreover, if you are travelling with a baby or in a wheelchair, go to regular passport control.
In addition to passport machines, you can cross the border using the Finnish Border Guard's service desk.