- Annual passenger and landing statistics of the airport are published on Finavia's Traffic Statistics page.
- The airport's runway is 2,500 metres long.
- 1936: Construction at the Kemi-Tornio Airport begins. The airport is completed in the autumn of 1939. The war, however, puts a halt to air traffic soon after it begins.
- 1945: The war-damaged runways are repaired. Aero begins operating from Helsinki to Kemi. The yearly number of passengers is 2,652.
- 1953: The new airport building is completed. The building is expanded in the 1960s, when the adjacent air traffic control tower is completed.
- 1960: The new 2,000 metre runway is completed. Later the main runway is paved and extended to 2,500 metres.
- 1969: The yearly number of passengers surpasses 20,000 for the first time.
- 1971: Jet traffic to Kemi begins on 1 November. The yearly number of passengers is over 30,000.
- 1988: The yearly number of passengers, which has been on the rise through the 1980s, reaches 90,000.