Helsinki Airport has dozens of automated border control gates, using which you do not need to wait in lines and can quickly pass through the border. The immigration process takes less than a minute.
You can use the automated gates if you have an e-passport (biometric passport). Registration in advance is not needed.
- Citizens of EU, EEA, Switzerland and Japan can use the automated gates at arrival and departure.
- Citizens of Korea, the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand can use the automated gates whenever they are departing.
How to use automated border control gates
- Take out your passport and remove its possible covers. Remove any eyeglasses and headwear.
- Walk to the end of an available border control gate and place your passport to the reader. Do not remove the passport from the reader.
- Look at the screen. The machine compares your face to your passport.
- Finally take out your passport from the reader. When the gate is open, you can continue your journey.
The video shows how the automated border control gates work.
The minimum height for using the automated border control gate is 130 cm. Moreover, if you are travelling with a baby or in a wheelchair, go to regular border check.
In addition to automated border control gates, you can cross the border using the Finnish Border Guard's service desk.