Finavia’s hygiene and safe distance plan during a pandemic
When a pandemic is declared, the airport company Finavia will implement special arrangements agreed upon with airlines.
The plan includes measures that ensure that hygiene and safe distances are maintained in terminal buildings as well as during boarding and disembarking.
The hygiene and safe distance plan applies to all Finavia airports. However, the measures may be adapted according to the scale of each airport’s operations, and targeted measures may be implemented in line with the wishes of the regional health authorities.
Finavia complies with international aviation recommendations, national legislation, EU regulations and the instructions issued by the authorities in all of its operations, also in the event of a pandemic. Finavia is also committed to complying with the recommendations issued by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency EASA.
Finavia’s measures and arrangements during the COVID-19 pandemic
We have kept a very close eye on the COVID-19 situation since the early stages of the epidemic. We are still monitoring the situation, even though travel restrictions and other recommendations and instructions issued by the authorities have now been lifted.
We were among the first Finnish companies to start preparing for the epidemic in January 2020 and implemented emergency management procedures. We began intensified cleaning and started distributing hand sanitiser. At the same time, we launched passenger information on COVID-19.
We comply with the instructions of the Finnish health authorities and take international recommendations into account, but we are also continuously and proactively engaged in several of our own procedures and develop our services.
Finavia is a limited liability company that does not have the same authorisations as authorities.
Ensuring hygiene during a pandemic and under normal conditions
- intensified cleaning in the terminals and surface disinfection
- distribution of hand sanitiser
- physical barriers (sneeze guards) at customer service points
- cleaning security control trays and escalator hand rails with UVC technology
- keeping contact surfaces clean with a coating that kills bacteria and viruses
- air purifiers in elevators
Avoiding contact and ensuring safe distances during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Passenger routes were rearranged to comply with travel restrictions and maintain health security measures.
- Capacity restrictions and recommendations concerning safe distances were observed in queueing and waiting areas as well as in bus transport between the terminal building and aircraft.
- We placed hundreds of stickers on the terminal floor to remind people of safe distances.
More information for passengers
There are several defibrillators, or AED devices, intended for use by laypersons at Helsinki Airport. Anyone can use an AED device to resuscitate a cardiac arrest patient. The locations of the defibrillators can be searched on the map of the airport.